Guest writer: Jennifer Cassetta, clinical nutritionist, personal trainer and self-defense expert
Father’s Day is Sunday, June 19. This is the first year I don’t have my Dad to call, send a card or go to dinner with. I know I’m not alone and that many people have lost their dads or may have never known them in the first place. So, the following is to help those of you that still have their dads express thanks to them while they are still here with you. I made sure I expressed love and gratitude to my father, but now that he’s gone, I know I could have done so much more.
Don’t have regrets. Tell your dad all the reasons why you are grateful for him. Even if your relationship isn’t the greatest, I am sure you can find ways to express gratitude for the things he’s taught you and how it’s shaped your life. To make it easy for you, I’ve written some examples.
Choose from any of the 8 Ways to Say "Thank You, Dad" below, add them to your Father’s Day card and customize as necessary.
- Thank you, Dad, for keeping me safe, providing me with a roof over my head, a warm bed, and a great education. It’s helped shape the person I am today. For that I am forever grateful.
- Thank you, Dad, for teaching me how to protect myself emotionally. Because of that I have been able to stick up for myself and others during times of injustice. You’re helping me make this world a better place.
- Thank you, Dad, for giving me that SABRE pepper spray. It empowered me to think more about my safety and become more aware of my surroundings. I’m glad I haven’t had to use it, but know that I can use it to keep me safe if ever confronted by an attacker.
- Thank you, Dad, for your constant encouragement. You’ve always been in my corner rooting for me and because of that, I have set my goals high. I am striving to lead the life of my dreams and not sit back and watch it go by. I love you.
- Thank you, Dad, for being my rock. You have taught me how to weather the storms of life. You’ve taught me how to bend and how to get up after life has knocked me down. You’ve taught me that there’s no opponent that I can’t handle.
- Thank you, Dad, for teaching me how to protect myself physically. Those moves you showed me when I was young, empowered me to become the strong woman I am today and have the confidence and ability to protect myself if needed.
- Thank you, Dad, for always listening. When I need an ear and an open heart I always know you are a phone call away. Thanks for listening first and giving me wise advice.
- Thank you, Dad, for helping me set the bar high for my life partner. Because of you, I will not settle for a partner who doesn’t see my true value. I know that I am worthy of a beautiful committed relationship. Because of you, I know that I am enough and I don’t have to sacrifice my standards or myself for someone else.
Happy Father’s Day to all of the fathers out there who have tried their best. You know who you are!