Today's post comes from the Deployment Diatribes, a writer who chronicles her experiences as a military spouse. In honor of National Safety Month, she is covering home security by reviewing SABRE products.
As Military spouses, we have unique home safety concerns, since our service member is out of the home for an extended period of time. There are some very helpful safety products available in the webiverse. Some of which are especially ideal for military families because they can move with us from home to home, all over the world. Home is where the Navy sends us, but some of those places are not the safest.
Horatio deployed for long periods many times, most recently, for 21 months. The boys and I were on our own… in a safe suburban neighborhood, and we had a home alarm system. Nothing about the situation was inherently dangerous, but I still worried for our safety on a regular basis. I thought about getting some personal safety items to keep at home and in my handbag, but I never knew what was best or where to get it.
It turns out, SABRE, the Security Equipment Corporation, provides a variety of devices to keep you and your home safe. SABRE is a family owned and operated company with over 40 years of experience keeping people safe. SABRE is the number one company with law enforcement in 40 countries on six continents.
What I needed was devices to make me feel safe, and protect me if and when I needed them. One of the times I feel most vulnerable is walking from buildings to my car, alone, at night. SABRE’s personal alarm goes a long way to allay my fears and make me feel as I would able to get away, at a moment’s notice, if something were to happen to me, or I felt threatened.
- 110 dB alarm – calls for attention to help scare off attackers
- Discreet – looks like a memory stick
- Sleekest, most modern personal alarm design
- User-friendly – simply remove pin from keychain to sound alarm
- Dual siren design
- Red version supports the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network
- Ready at a moment’s notice thanks to key ring attaching to bag, backpack, keychain, purse, etc.
- Requires 4xLR44 batteries (included)
I also really like the door stop alarm. I feel like it adds a real layer of protection at home, and I can take it with me whenever I travel. One of my boys really worries whenever Horatio is away and I have to go out at night. Having this alarm will help him worry less, I am sure. I always feel a bit uneasy in hotels, so the door stop alarm is perfect for peace of mind. We will be traveling this summer and even though Horatio will be with us, I plan to take the door stop alarm along for an extra measure of safety. We will have two hotel rooms, so I’ll feel safer knowing the boys in the other room have this alarm at their door.
- Perfect for bedrooms, dorm rooms, apartments and hotels
- Triple purpose: wakes you, alerts others and prevents door from opening with a non-skid pad
- Useful in various applications – ideal for bedrooms, hotels, apartments & dorm rooms
- Lets you know when battery is running low with indicator
- Includes on/off switch
- Requires 1x9V battery (not included)
Another great product by SABRE is their Wireless Alarm Kit.
- Extremely loud – 120 dB keypad alarm
- Includes three additional door/window alarms
- User-friendly – entry delay prevents false triggering
- Easy installation – set up in minutes, no wiring necessary
- Keypad door/window alarm requires 3xAAA batteries (not included)
- Window alarms require 3xLR44 batteries (included)
It is super easy to install and can really help secure your home, whether your spouse is deployed, traveling, or home. You can set it to chime when a window or door is opened, or arm it to sound an alarm when a door or window is opened. As a parent of teenagers, I like the chime feature. I want to be sure that my kids cannot come and go without me knowing about it.
The bottom line is that safety is key to peace of mind. Whether on the go, or at home; solo, or when everyone is home; SABRE’s products can help you stay safe.
With all the snakes around here, not to mention the monkeys and stray dogs, I also plan to get the Duathlete Pepper Spray. It comes with an adjustable bicep band strap so I can keep it with me and run, hands free.
Top Five Reasons to Carry Pepper Spray
- Protection at a safe distance - why go hands on?
- Very practical - protection against multiple threats
- Legal to carry in all 50 states
- Doesn't require size or strength to use
- Proven effective - police worldwide carry pepper spray
I carried pepper spray in my hand bag when I first lived on my own. With Horatio traveling a lot right now, National Safety Month made me realize I should start doing that again. I really like the lipstick pepper spray from SABRE because it blends in with other things in my bag.
National Safety Month is a good time to make sure you and your loved ones are doing everything possible to stay safe.