In wake of recent flash mops, muggings and a stabbing on July 3rd, the Chicago Police Department is taking action. The Chicago Alternative Policing Strategy (CAPS) recently provided a safety seminar for concerned residents offering safety tips and preventative measures.
- Sgt Silva, veteran 23rd District police officer, hosted the assembly. According to Silva “awareness and avoidance are key. He cautioned against using cell phones or ear buds in the street or on public transportation, as doing so both distracts the user and calls attention to expensive electronics.” Other main points stressed include:
· Intuition – if something feels wrong it probably is
· Carry Pepper Spray When Alone
· Have a Lanyard on Your Keys So You Can Swing Them
· Do Not Stop For Anybody – This is Usually a Test Used by an Attacker
Individuals in attendance universally found the meeting beneficial.
Security Equipment Corporation, manufacture of SABRE personal safety sprays (commonly known as pepper spray) commends the Chicago Police Department for taking initiative and offering a safety solution. Embrace the above recommendations. Have a plan! Be a hard target!