With upwards of 20 million students enrolled in college in the U.S., it’s no surprise that campus issues have been making headlines. The media spotlight on the sexual assault crisis in higher education has helped uncover some statistics that—while alarming—are important to be aware of on your college journey. Below are some statistics partnered with tips to help you feel safe and empowered on campus.
Rape & sexual assault
- 1 in 5 women will be sexually assaulted during her college career.
The White House
- 4.2% of students have experienced stalking since entering college.
- 23.1% of female and 5.4% of male undergraduates experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence or incapacitation.
- In college there are 2x more sexual assaults than robberies (compared to 5 robberies for every 4 sexual assaults in the general population).
- Over half of college sexual assaults occur from August through November.
THE SAFETY TIPS
- Be a hard target. Predators tend to look for victims they feel would not put up too much of a fight. Learn how to be a hard target.
- Have a personal safety tool. Becoming a hard target is crucial to feeling safe, but you also need to be prepared for a worst-case scenario. Have pepper gel on hand for non-lethal, police-strength protection on campus.
- Don’t be too generous with your trust. It’s tempting, especially when you may be living on your own for the first time, to rush into friendships. But keep in mind that more than 50% of sexual assault occur during the first half of the school year. Take your time and get to know people before sharing your dorm key, life story, or daily schedule.
Burglary & robbery
- There are about 11,000 robberies and burglaries annually in residence halls.
College Parents of America
THE SAFETY TIPS
- Use locks and security alarms to keep yourself and your belongings safe. Read more.
$15,000 Safe Is Smart Scholarship Sweepstakes
Our commitment to education and campus safety issues have inspired a new initiative: The $15,000 Safe Is Smart Scholarship Sweepstakes.
As the cost of higher education continues to rise, the future leaders of our communities are facing tough decisions about enrolling in post-high school institutions. The 2017 SABRE Safe Is Smart Scholarship Sweepstakes will provide college hopefuls with the chance to win $15,000 toward University, College, or Trade School tuition or expenses.
While the scholarship will help one lucky person afford education, all students can benefit from the peace of mind that comes with industry-leading SABRE safety products. Enter at SafeIsSmart.com/Scholarship, and then visit SABRERed.com to find the personal safety product that’s right for you.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Purchasing does not improve your chances of winning. The SABRE Safe Is Smart Scholarship Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., age 18 or older and currently enrolled or about to enroll in an accredited higher education college, university or trade school. Void in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, outside the U.S., and wherever else prohibited by law. Sweepstakes begins at 12:00:01 AM ET on 07/01/17 and ends at 11:59:59 PM ET on 09/03/17. Sponsor: Security Equipment Corp, 221 N. LaSalle Street, Chicago, IL 60601.