Millions of people are preparing to celebrate this Memorial Day. But whether you're traveling, barbecuing in your backyard, or visiting your city's local parade, you must still prioritize your personal safety. So as you're preparing to kick your summer into gear, check out these safety tips:
1. Don't drink and drive or ride with anyone who has been drinking.
2. Wear your seatbelt at all times.
3. Do a quick maintenance or service check on your vehicle before getting on the road.
4. Make sure your car has enough gas for your trip to avoid being stranded on the side of the road or having to do frequent stops in unfamiliar areas.
5. Familiarize yourself with your surroundings. Know where local law enforcement and emergency rooms are located.
6. Thoroughly secure your home before leaving for vacation. Tell a neighbor that you'll be leaving and ask if he/she would be willing to pick up your mail for you while you're away. Mail left in your mailbox can provide criminals with an opportunity to steal your personal information. Also, ask if he/she would be willing to contact you if anything looks out of the ordinary.
7. Print out route directions or carry a navigation system with you to avoid having to stop and ask strangers for directions.
8. Carry pepper spray with you at all times. Bear Protector is another great option if you will be camping or spending time outdoors.
Follow these safety tips to maximize your weekend with your friends and family. And try to squeeze in a moment of silence to pay respect to our heroes.