The warm weather is here and many of us are ecstatic that we can start doing our cardio outdoors. But unfortunately, there are some criminals who view walkers and runners as easy prey or easy targets. It is therefore important that outdoor runners take some additional safety
precautions while working out and soaking up all that delightful sun. Get the most out of your workout and avoid becoming a victim by following these safety tips:
1. Carry a runner friendly pepper spray. Sabre Red Jogger Pepper Spray
is a great option - http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-188/Pink-Runner--fdsh--Jogger/Detail
2. Perform safety checks. Inform someone of your route and do a quick scan of the area before you start running.
3. Make sure you're wearing colors that can be easily spotted and make sure you're visible to others walking, biking, and most importantly drivers.
4. Run with a buddy when possible during the day and especially at night. Safety is in numbers.
4. Always have identification on you. Put your driver's license and your medical insurance card (in case you get injured) in your pocket or wear an ID tag on your shoe.
5. Limit your distractions. Try to avoid wearing both ear buds in your ears. When you have to wear both, make sure you are listening at a reduced volume so that you can hear what's going on around you.
6. Don't make assumptions about drivers. Remember that many drivers aren't paying attention because they're listening to the radio, talking on their cell phone, or reading a map.
7. Watch out for cyclists and other runners. Even if you're running on a path or in a park with no cars, always be aware of other runners and cyclists.
8. Carry small amounts of cash or an ATM card.
9. Trust your instincts. If a location or person makes you feel comfortable, trust your gut and run in the other direction.
Click here to read more on these safety tips: