One of the country’s most exciting holidays is fast approaching. Whether you are Irish or not, St. Patty’s Day is a favorite for most. Many of us will creatively rock our flyest green getup, from shirts and pants to hats and shoes, as we bar hop from pub to club drinking ice-cold green beer. But whether you decide to bar hop, celebrate at your local parade, host a party at home, or grace a friend’s shindig with your presence, remember that your personal safety must still come first. With so many fun things to do, maintaining a high level of safety awareness is still very important. Celebrate safely by following these safety tips to ensure that your day is full of lucky charms: Drinking Responsibly 101 -
1. If you are going to drink, DO NOT DRIVE. Remember buzzed driving is drunk driving. Renting a hotel or crashing at a friend’s place near the activities may be a good idea.
2. If you are unable to rent a hotel or crash somewhere, pick a designated driver, but understand that this person will not be able to drink. And make sure everyone wears a seatbelt while driving or riding in a moving vehicle.
3. If you are going to drink, eat a full meal and drink water to keep yourself hydrated.
4. Do not ever leave drinks unattended and watch the bartender pour your drink. Do not accept a drink if you did not see it being poured.
Hosting 101 –
1. Do not ever leave drinks unattended. Throw out unattended cups if you notice they have been sitting for a while.
2. Start a car key bowl as your guests arrive. This way you can ensure that no one leaves your party inebriated.
3. Have a wide variety of snacks available for your guests so they aren’t drinking on empty stomachs. Other Important Tips –
1. Know where to go for help in case of an emergency (local police, hospital, door man, etc).
2. Only carry what you absolutely NEED and leave other valuables at home. Drivers Licenses, small amounts of cash, debit cards, and cell phones are must haves.
3. Buddy up always! And if you somehow get separated from your buddies, DO NOT join strangers or go wandering off. Call the police if you need assistance or find the party staff.
4. Have local taxi cab numbers stored in your phone. Have fun, be green, but be safe!