You are more at risk when it's dark and you're alone. Most parking structures fit the bill for this type of environment. If you're driving and parking in a lot or structure, follow these tips!
- Never get in an elevator with someone that makes you uncomfortable - use your intuition.
- Take the elevator over stairs if you have the choice. You can always step out of the elevator quickly if someone gets in that you don't like, plus there are typically help buttons and alarms inside.
- Park as close to the doors as possible.
- Put away your cell phone, headphones, etc. and have your pepper spray and keys in your hand.
- Lock the car door as soon as you get in, especially before you check your phone!