Location: Montgomery County Sheriff's Office
1 East Main Street, Second Floor
Christiansburg, VA 24073
Date: Monday, June 27, 2016
Times: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Instructor: Sgt. Don Wieder
SABRE Contact: Terry Roberts
Host Agency: Mark Hollandsworth
This one-day (8-hour) Instructor level certification program focuses on the deploying, handling and documenting the use of chemical aerosols. This course will address:
- Medical issues and legal liability
- Ways for the instructor to develop in the use and training of aerosol tactics
- How to protect your department from costly litigation issues that could arise from the use of aerosol projectors
- Proper deployment techniques
- The complete arsenal of available aerosols and situational requirement
- Recommended contamination drills
- Properly reporting force and tactics for aerosol projectors
Certified instructors receive an instructor manual and student PowerPoint to use when teaching end user classes. This certification is valid for three calendar years from successfully completing this course.
Topics covered include:
- Oleoresin Capsicum Formulations / Carriers
- Projectors / Propellants / Delivery Systems
- Effectiveness / Safety / Liability Factors
- Criteria for Selection
- Sample Policy and Procedures
- Officer Survival Techniques
- Decontamination / First Aid - New SABRE Decon will be used!
- Operational Guidelines / Practical Exercises
- Instructor Development
- Inter-graded Use of Force Options
- Deployment Methods
- Tactics for Surviving an OC Attack
- Contamination Exercises*
All officers should bring:
- Complete duty gear with handcuffs & key, baton & carrier, holster (NO Live Firearm) Training Firearms provided
- Change of clothes, towel & safety glasses (recommended)
* All SABRE Instructor Candidates must complete the SABRE contamination exercise except for the following:
- SABRE Recertification Candidates – Those which have been previously certified by Security Equipment Corporation
- Instructor Recertification Candidates – Those attending which have been previously certified by another Aerosol Irritant Manufacturer. These students must fax (636) 343-1318 or email – email@example.com a copy of their Instructor Certificate upon registering for this class. Additionally, Instructor Recertification Candidates must send a written description detailing the contamination drill they completed during their last Aerosol Irritant Manufacturer OC certification class. This description must be on agency letterhead and signed by your supervisor / commanding officer.
- Medical Issues – if you have health issues which prevent you from being sprayed, you must submit a letter from your doctor which details your issue and reason for not participating in the contamination.
CLASS IS LIMITED TO THE FIRST 25 REGISTERED STUDENTS! MUST REGISTER BY Friday, May 27, 2016.