For those who commute late at night or end their shift early in the morning, your personal safety could be more at risk due to the increase of incidents that occur at night.
- If you're using public transportation, avoid waiting at the stop for a long period of time. Most transit departments now have apps you can download. These will alert you of approaching buses and trains to cut down on the amount of time you need to be waiting outside.
- Sit close to the driver/operator of the bus or train in case there's an emergency - you're going to be seen and heard faster than if you're at the back.
- Call and let people know when you're leaving and expect to arrive. If you live alone, don't tell patients, customers or even colleagues.
- Don't advertise if your roommates or spouse is out of town leaving you home alone.
- Avoid advertising your work schedule on social media.
- Don't let your guard down until you're in your apartment or home and doors are locked safety behind you.