Welcome to the Personal Safety Academy, SABRE’s safety and empowerment training space, dedicated to helping you Make It Safe.
In-Person Safety Training
SABRE provides two types of personal safety training courses led by certified instructors - the Civilian Safety Awareness Program and the SABRE College Safety Program. Our SABRE-trained instructors teach classes across the U.S. to educate on everyday safety techniques for college students and independent adults. Use our interactive map feature below to find an instructor and classes near you!
Interested in teaching a SABRE safety course in your area? Click the button below to select and enroll in an instructor training course.
Locate an Instructor
SABRE offers personal safety training classes to educate you on how to identify threatening behaviors, skills to discourage potential threats, and techniques on how to escape dangerous situations, including training with pepper spray.
Our instructors teach classes for the everyday person, as well as a tailored program for college students. Use our interactive map feature to find an instructor and classes near you!
I am glad I took this class and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in becoming a SABRE instructor. Thanks for a great product and training department!
Topics Covered in Personal Safety Academy
At SABRE, we believe preparedness is key to being confident in your safety. We want to help you prepare for the possibility of coming face-to-face with a threatening situation by sharing helpful information that can help lend an extra layer of security in dangerous surroundings. Check out our Top Ten Safety Tips as they will help you maximize your preparation and overall protection.
SABRE Pepper Sprays, Stun Guns and Personal Alarms should be used with extreme caution. Prior to use you MUST read all packaging instructions and watch the videos with warnings and instructions below. Although the strength of SABRE Pepper Sprays are guaranteed via HPLC technology, no personal safety product, including Stun Guns and Personal Alarms can guarantee your safety in the event of an attack. Further, the failure to properly use these products can result in the inability to stop an attacker. Be ready to take other countermeasures if necessary.
Tips to Help Maximize Your Everday Safety
Check out our Top Ten Safety Tips as they will help you maximize your preparation and overall protection.
How to Use Your Pepper Spray
At SABRE, we know that personal safety is personal, so our goals are to help you with your personal safety plan and to help you learn how to properly use your new pepper spray. We will cover how to use pepper spray in this video, from the proper way to hold it to how to maximize your safety in the event you need to use it.
If you are interested in extra training, a practice spray is a great way to get comfortable with pepper spray deployment.
How to Use Pepper Spray with Different Safety Tops
There are various top types to consider. Watch this video to learn how to deploy your specific pepper spray whether it’s the Twist Lock, the Twist Top, the Flip Top, the Traditional Trigger, the Pistol Grip, or the Cap Top.
How to Use Home Defense Pepper Spray
Pepper sprays for home defense are a great tool to help protect your home and loved ones. Learn the various options for pepper spray to defend your home, proper storage within the home, and recommended technique for use - all to help you Make It Safe®.
1. Store it where you’ll have access – but children won’t.
2. Get comfortable with it in your hand and take a moment to get a good grip on your pepper spray. Be sure to practice how you’d situate yourself in a moment of danger.
3. At SABRE, we say "spray and away." Hold the canister in your dominant hand and extend that arm out in front of you. Spray ear to ear, across the eyes. Then get away, get to safety, and then call for help if needed.
How to Use a Personal Alarm
Personal alarms help to add an additional layer of safety for two main reasons. Number one: they can startle, disorient, and even scare off a potential attacker. Number two: they draw attention to a threatening situation and can summon for help in an emergency.
1. Keep it handy. It won’t do you any good at the bottom of a purse, deep in a pocket of a backpack, or way down at the bottom of your car’s center console.
2. Sound the alarm. If you have a keychain or snap clip model, simply pull the pin out. Insert the pin back in to silence the alarm. If you have a clip model, simply press the alarm button on the side. Press again to silence the alarm.
How to Use a Stun Gun
Our goal at SABRE is to help with your personal safety plan, and to help educate you on how to use your new stun gun. We’ll cover how to use a SABRE stun gun in this video, from the proper way to hold it to how to maximize your safety in the event you need to use it.
How to Use DIY Home Security Products
Unfortunately, there is one burglary every 22 seconds in the United States, according to the FBI’s Crime Clock; that’s around 1.4 million every year. At SABRE, our goal is to help keep you and your family safer and better protected at home and away. We’ll cover some things you need to know about home security in this video.
- What’s right for your home?
- Deter from the outside. If there’s one thing a potential home invader doesn’t want, it’s to get caught.
- Secure entryways. An open or unlocked door is how more than half of all residential burglars gain entry to a home, according to The Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Protect from the inside. It's smart to add a layer of protection that can alert you with an alarm in case someone does attempt to enter your home.
- Last, pack a portable alarm if you're on the go or traveling.