Running Safety Tips
Focus on your PR, not your safety
We want to help you make every run a safe one! Whether you're trying to beat your personal record, training for your first race, or just looking to stay healthy, learn how to plan a safer run, how to use your pepper spray, and other personal safety tips. Run confidently with SABRE.
PLANNING A SAFER RUN
- Be vigilant: Consider ditching the headphones, or opt for just a single ear to ensure you can hear what's going on around you.
- Bring Your Phone: Bring your phone (or smart watch) along to ensure you can navigate if you get lost and can call for help if and when you need to. Consider downloading the SABRE Personal Safety app to send help alerts and stay connected to your loved ones!
- Consider your safety plan: After planning your route and laying out your gear, make sure to consider your safety plan. Consider running with a safety device for self-defense, like a runner pepper spray or gel .
- Most of all, trust your instincts: Your instincts and intuition are some of your top safety skills. If something feels off, it probably is.
LOW LIGHT SAFETY TIPS
- Run against traffic: Make sure you can see oncoming traffic. Try to run on sidewalks and less busy roads when possible.
- Stay visible: Wear bright and light colors whenever you can, and consider bright accessories like an LED Armband or Personal Alarm to ensure you're visible to oncoming traffic including cars, bikes, and other runners.
- Make sure you can see: Try to run in well-lit areas whenever you can to ensure you can see the road ahead. Consider sporting a headlamp if there will be areas with particularly low light.
SHOP RUNNING SAFETY
HOW TO USE SABRE PEPPER SPRAY
At SABRE, we know that personal safety is personal, so our goal is to make sure you’re comfortable with your personal safety plan, and know exactly how to use your new pepper spray. We’ll cover everything you need to know for how to use a pepper spray in this video, from the proper way to hold it to how to maximize your safety in the event you need to use it. Let’s jump in.
If you're interested in extra training, a practice spray is a great way to get comfortable with pepper spray deployment.
More Safety Tips
Looking for more safety tips? You're in the right place!
View More Personal Safety Tips