The concept of self-defense probably brings to mind thoughts of kicking, slapping, or clawing the eyes out of an attacker, but what many don’t know is that the more distance you put between you and your opponents, the safer you’ll be. This is the primary reason why OC or Pepper Spray is a very effective and incredibly potent self-defense tool. It has the ability to incapacitate the attacker without getting too close. Why deal with aggression directly or hands-on when you can protect yourself at a safe distance?
Background and History: OC is short for Oleoresin Capsicum, a compound that irritates the eyes to cause tears, pain, and even temporary blindness. Its essential effects are immediate. First, the OC causes involuntary eye closure. Even if the subject is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, if the OC comes into contact with the eyes, the eyes will close providing the opportunity to escape the attacker. Second, if the OC is inhaled, it causes an immediate fit of uncontrollable coughing and choking as the breathing tissues are instantly inflamed. Thus, it causes restriction of deep lung breathing.
The FBI first popularized OC in the late 1980s. After extensive testing and approval for use by its SWAT and special agent teams, other US law enforcement agencies deemed Pepper Spray the self-defense tool of choice.
And then by the late ’90s, Pepper Spray began to dominate the civilian market as well. Inexpensive, effective, and non-lethal, it was praised for being convenient and legal to carry in all 50 states. For these reasons, it is considered to be one of the best personal defense tools. However, as with any other defense tool, the most effective application only comes with proper education and training.
How Hot is it: Oleoresin Capsicum is comprised of several different Capsaicinoids. The Capsaicinoid is responsible for providing the pungency or hotness of a pepper. The Major Capsaicinoids Content (MCC) represents the heat-bearing and pain-producing components of the defense spray. The MCC of pepper sprays ranges from 0.18% to 1.33%.
Why is this Important: When buying Pepper Spray, potency is extremely important. Consumers should opt for a spray containing 0.67% to 1.33% MCC. Those living in NY State may not carry a spray containing more than 0.7% MCC. Many companies overstate their strength or still talk in terms of OC% or Scoville Heat Units and neither of which indicate the actual strength of pepper spray. The best thing a consumer can do is choose a reputable brand with a proven track record based on use by law enforcement agencies.
SABRE is your Choice: This is why SABRE is your best choice! SABRE is the only self-defense spray manufacturer that operates a High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) laboratory to scientifically ensure the heat specifications of every SABRE & SABRE RED canister. SABRE’s HPLC Guarantee is the pepper spray industry’s number one advantage because the University of Utah confirmed that without an HPLC Guarantee, pepper sprays fail 30% of the time due to inconsistent heat levels! Furthermore, SABRE is the leading brand used by law enforcement agencies worldwide.
Your Commitment: When you decide to carry Pepper Spray or any other self-defense tool, you owe it to yourself and everyone around you to obtain adequate training. This is your commitment and responsibility! A high stressed situation should not be the first time you fire your spray!
How to Learn: SABRE offers the Civilian Safety Awareness Program, a simple affordable solution to keep you and your family safe. You will learn how to:
- Risk reduction strategies to help discourage potential threats.
- How to protect yourself at a safe distance.
- The best self-defense technique to escape an attacker.
- How to protect yourself during high-stress encounters.
- The best techniques to deploy pepper spray safely and effectively.
Again, Pepper Spray can be an extremely effective personal-protection tool, but one must take the following four steps to the most out of the product:
- Visit https://sabrered.com to research various products and choose the one that directly meets your needs.
- Attend a CSAP course and get trained to employ it.
- Make a commitment to yourself, your loved ones, and your environment that you will carry it consistently.
- Learn these 7 Important Pepper Spray & Self Defense Rules to Follow:
- Make sure you purchase a reputable brand! Purchase a brand that is backed by ISO 9001:2000 Certification!
- Keep it handy and accessible. Don’t tuck it away in a bag.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look around and be ready.
- Do not put the spray in front of the attacker until it is positioned properly in your hand and you are ready to use it.
- Aim for the eyes and spray ear to ear across the eyes for best results.
- Sidestep the approaching attacker and run away.
- Get to a safe place and call the police.