1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime
October is recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Since 2008, SABRE has proudly supported the National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF) with pink products to help educate and raise awareness about the impact of breast cancer, the importance of early detection, and the preventative measures that can be taken.
SABRE Products that Benefit NBCF
Breast Cancer Health Tips
Schedule Regular Exams
When breast cancer is detected early, in the localized stage, the 5-year survival rate is 99 percent (NBCF).
- Women ages 40 and over should get a mammogram every year
- Women over the age of 20 should begin having an annual well-women exam and talk to their doctor about potential risk factors to determine when annual mammograms should begin
- Women 18 and older should conduct monthly at-home breast self-exams
Know Your Personal Risk Factors
These can increase your chance of breast cancer.
- You are a woman over the age of 40
- You or someone in your immediate family has been previously diagnosed with breast cancer or ovarian cancer
- You or someone in your immediate family has tested positive for BRCA1 or BRCA2, a gene mutation that is associated with a higher risk of breast cancer
Keep Healthy Habits
These can reduce your risk for certain cancers.
- Eat five or more servings of fruit and vegetables each day
- Get regular physical activity
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Limit alcohol intake to no more than one drink per day
- Do not smoke or quit smoking if you do
National Breast Cancer Foundation & SABRE
Janelle Hail (NBCF Founder) and Jane Nance (SABRE Co-Founder) interview with Ashley Miller.
Other Breast Cancer Resources