It's inevitable you'll have to stay late at work from time to time. But 40% of women have avoided staying late at work due to not feeling safe alone in the workplace. These tips are for those working in office settings to help you stay stafe while burning the midnight oil:
- Keep pepper gel or pepper spray at your desk and lock the main building doors, and your personal office door if applicable.
- Keep lights on in the building to make it appear others are there as well.
- If you stay late with a coworker, walk out to your car together. If you're the last one to leave the office, ask a security guard to walk you to your car, or ask them to call you a cab.
- If your office doesn't already have them, ask management to put security decals on the windows/doors to try and help deter intruders.
- Carry keys in your hands so that you don't have to dig for them within your purse once you get to your car.